Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Spinach Harvest


We harvested our 3rd cutting of spinach this morning.  We probably waited too long, like a week too long, to cut this time, for the leaves were huge.  But they are still good.  It's cool how fast it grows.  It's ready to be cut every week.  


The first cutting we cut them when they were cute little baby spinaches.
First cutting:



We'll see if we can get any more cuttings off of these plants.  We've been enjoying spinach salads and green drinks.
Yummy spinach salad:



Spinach + peppers + hemp hearts (from Costco) + olive oil + raw apple cider vinegar + a little salt and pepper

That's all I had today.  I would've loved some apple or pear and some tomatoes and dried cranberries, but those items are usually gone super fast in our home.

Try this honey lime vinaigrette on it.  (We made it on memorial day, recommended by Weston's cousin's wife, Katie, but I didn't have lime, so we used lemon, and I didn't have dijon mustard so we just left it out, and used all olive oil instead of 1/2 canola oil.  It was yummy.)   

It is also good with quinoa on top of the salad (thanks JaNae and Becky).



A yummy green drink recipe:
-a few huge handfuls of spinach stuffed in the blender
-10-12 or so ounces of apple cider or apple juice poured on top of the spinach
-blend that up
-add 1-2 bananas
-an apple or pear if you have them (i keep the skins on)
-frozen peaches (or fresh, I've even done canned peaches, + a cup or 2 of ice)
 -2-3 tablespoons of flax seeds

If you don't think it is sweet enough you can add a squirt of agave or a tablespoon or so of stevia.
It is best when it is really cold, so blend in more ice if needed.



We have yet to plant our garden.  Planting time for our neck of the woods is June 1st.  We had a frost last week and lost our grapes.

Photobucket

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Your spinach looks awesome! When did you plant it?

Natalie in Sparks said...

awesome!! love me some fresh spinach! I will have to try your dressing, it sounds great!