The Idaho Fish and Game officer called us yesterday and told us that he found a home for Matilda.
And that she would be leaving the next day (today).
I didn't want to let her go. I wanted to still feed her bottles. I wanted to see her grow up.
| Hanging with Mattie last night in the field. |
Today they came to get her.
She came running over to us.
(She spotted the bottle.)
We took her out of the pasture and what did she do?
She headed straight for Grandma's rose bush. She loves to eat the leaves.
I had to basically push her out. It was prickly under there.
Then she spotted the bottle again.
She really likes that thing.
Maizy wanted to say goodbye clean the milk off of Mattie's face.
Then it was time to load up.
And time to say goodbye.
The trailer had a cushy floor.
And was nice and roomy.
What a sweet face. And what a sweet little thing she is.
Bye, Mattie!
(sniff, sniff)
She had a 5 hour trip to Tacoma today. She flew there. She is headed to the Northwest Trek Wildlife Park there. Or, I suppose, she is already there. If you live near there go and say, "Hi, Mattie Girl!" for us. She will be in a 10-15 acre yard/enclosure/whatever you call it. That's nice and big. I hope that we can go visit her this Fall. Supposedly there is a bull moose calf her age there. Maybe they can be special friends. :)
Mattie came to us when she was about 5 days old. Now she is about 12 weeks old. She weighed about 25 pounds when she came and is now around 70-75. We knew her time here was temporary, and we are glad that we got to raise her for as long as we did. She is so sweet and gentle and we will really miss her.
(Thanks to my sister, Holly, for the pix)

3 comments:
Oh sad! It's hard to get attached to an animal you can't keep! But at least it's going to a good place. It sounds like it will be able to be with other mooses (or as Brian Regan would say, other meese!)
Good job taking such good care of her - she looks so sweet!
Sad day:) What a cool story to be able to tell your grandkids and such;)
Aw, so sad for you guys, but glad to hear that Mattie is off to a happy place to grow up. That would be great if you guys end up visiting her. I bet she'll recognize you guys and be glad you came!
Post a Comment