Friday, November 4, 2011

Family Pix and Thoughts on Living Boonie

 
I'd been wanting to get some family pictures taken for the last few months, before it got cold, thought I, but it had never made it to fruition.  Last Sunday was showing to be the last day in the 60's, so we gave it a go, as thrown together as anything I do these days. We grabbed my Mom and Dad - Mom to be the photographer and Dad to be the entertainer behind the camera to keep little attention spans at bay, and little faces happy (they make for the best photos, after all, and Dad is pretty much a pro at getting grumpies out, even at a distance).  It is a bit of a job taking family pictures, but considering not only the entertainer but also the props it was quite enjoyable. 


These fields make for the best pictures.  And you can kind of get a look at really how far out we live, with nothing in the background for miles.  Our blog is called The Boonie Life for a reason, and that is it.


Have you ever lived out in the boonies, or wondered what it would be like?  Or have you ever visited us and wondered how in the world we can live so far out?  Or how often we go to the store, or what do we do in the case of an emergency, or do we feel disconnected with the rest of the world, or on we on city water and the sewer system?  I have been asked all of those questions.


The store?  We go to the store whenever we feel like it, which, truthfully, I hardly ever "feel" like it.  It is only about an hour to the "big city" where stores are and everything else is, and it is quite a chore for me to go.  Because of the drive, yes, but more so because of my very active 2 1/2-year-old who does not think that he has to sit in a cart, but can roam as he pleases.  I'm sure that many of you feel the same way.  I'm not really a big shopper anyway (aside from thrifting, of course).


Um, no, we are not on city water or the sewer system.  I think that it would be a bit costly to include us in the system.


Disconnected from the rest of the world?  Sorta, I guess.  But only in ways that I highly prefer.  We do not have satellite TV or Dish Network (by choice) and let me tell you that I absolutely LOVE not having it and being "connected" to the world in that sense.  I recommend it to everyone.  We have a DVD player and VCR for movie watching when we want and we have the internet for our "worldly connection".  That is plenty.  

That bull in the background so wants to be part of our merry little group.
 And we don't have little neighbor kids knocking on the door.  (Hooray.)  My kids play together more this way and are all each other's best friends.  We are all very social, though, and love having friends come over, but it is almost always a whole family that comes and hangs out with our whole family.   This is how we like it.   


Overall, this boonie living business is pretty grand. 

But I have to admit that I haven't always thought so.  The first few winters up here were pretty hard for me.  Partly because I am not a cold weather fan - I think that I had/have a touch of SAD (seasonal affected disorder) - and partly because we were in a temporary location (actually 4 temporary locations in a row before moving to our house now). I didn't feel like I could "make it my own" (i.e. painting and what not) on any of the places, which really is important for me. 


 It was also because of social reasons that those first few winters were hard. I had three little ones, ages 3, 2 and  3 weeks old when we first moved here and none of them really talked.  Weston would be gone all day and, while I loved my littles, I felt alone.   I honestly felt that life was passing me by.  I felt like I was going to be spending the rest of my 20's in the middle of nowhere while everyone else was having fun and living life elsewhere.  I remember crying a lot.  And if you know me you know that I hardly ever cry.  One thing that helped me was taking long drives during the day with my little ones while listening to music.  It was definitely a challenging time for me.  I was constantly bugging Weston about what we were going to "do next" when our 2 years that we committed to at the ranch were over.  I did not want to stay any longer than that and I wanted him to have no doubt about it. 

My one scheduled thing each week was church on Sundays.  Shortly after moving here I was asked to work in the nursery at church with the 18-month-olds to 3-year-olds.  They asked me, I said yes, and then I went into the bathroom and cried.  I thought, 'Why would they ask me to be secluded in nursery with toddlers when that's how I am all week at home?'   I said a short prayer asking the Lord to help me.  After I got a hold of my emotions in the bathroom at church that day, I went back to class and the closing song was being sung.  It was "I'll Go Where You Want Me to Go, Dear Lord."  I felt like it was just for me.  I sighed, fought more tears, and took it straight to heart, thinking, 'Okay, okay.  Nursery, the ranch, whatever it may be, it is in your hands, and I will do your will.  I'll be what you want me to be.'  

And then the sun came out....


I still have my days here and there where I'd like to go somewhere else and do something else - like the other day when I was driving home and I couldn't even tell that it was Fall because all I could see were sagebrush hills.  I so wanted my eastern colorful trees.  

But I know that this is the place for me right now.  Our Heavenly Father is in control, He sees that big picture of how everything is going to flow, He wants us to be happy, He knows what we can be and what will make us stronger, and He wants us to rely on Him always.


And guess what.  He has pretty much been making my dreams come true.  He has blessed me immensely and I would be a fool if I didn't see it.  Actually, I was a fool for a while because I didn't see it; I was looking at only myself and not at the goodness around me, and at my little girl daydreams that were unfolding directly in front of me.  He has not only given me the peaceful, wholesome country lifestyle that I would daydream about as a young girl, and a bunch of colorful trees around me, and a creek, and a warm and comfortable home and all of that, but my family that has always been the center of those daydreams - A faithful, spiritual, excellent father of a handsome husband and 5 darling and healthy and (mostly) obedient innocent children.  

Notice what is going on with Ezra's hand and Jiles's sleeve.  And if Weston takes one step forward he is destined for Pieville (cow pie).
 With the kids being older and bigger now, and more of them, we are busier than ever.  Time goes faster and so do we, but I stop and thank the Lord everyday that we can raise our children in this beautiful land around us and away from "the world".  It is such a blessing and such a great thing for our little family to live this way, in the boonies.  I don't really have much to compare it to, since we have pretty much raised our kids only here, but I am so glad and grateful that we are here.
 
 And do you know what?  It really doesn't seem that far out anymore.

Notice Jiles's sleeve now after the run in with Ezra's hand.

Our entertainer and photographer: Pops and Mumsie


"Don't take a picture of me!"
















Photobucket

10 comments:

liko said...

oh i LOVE LOVE LOVE this.

thank you for reminding me to see the many blessings in my life.

i've been wanting a life like yours for a while now, without all the unnecessary distractions of "the world".

a quiet, peaceful, beautiful life with lots of space for our family to thrive. i've been wanting it so much i have forgotten to see how truly blessed we are now. i've been focusing on what i want rather that seeing how much the Lord blesses me everyday.

maybe someday we will be blessed as you have been, but for now i need to savor every second and enjoy the moment.

carrie @ the boonie life said...

Liko, you are so right. That is just it for all of us: enjoying where we are now, and what the Lord has provided for us. I never wanted to live in Idaho. I left Ricks College saying that I would never live in Idaho ever again because I disliked it that much. I wanted my dreams to come true in the southeastern US. I guess that we can only be so picky, though. The Lord always provides, just not always when, where or exactly what we want. I think that one of our biggest tests is to learn to be grateful no matter what the circumstance and to make the most of it - because no circumstance is exactly perfect.
A couple of years ago I was so set on leaving the ranch and moving to Hawaii, your home state! Oh, the irony! :)

Keri said...

I think we all as Mothers find ourselves in the deep trenches of motherhood at times, so dont feel alone. Its in those moments that we as mothers begin to grow and beautify our lives wherever we are planted. Though it may be more of a challenge for us city moms to aquire the same serinity that boonie life brings I think its when we change our hearts that we begin to find the boonie life wherever we are. Im becomming a little more "boonie" and I love it too, but it wasnt until I dug myself out of the trenches that i realized how beautiful life is without all the social networking and media peir pressures that bring us moms down. Ive backed away from the pressures of blogging and the envious strains in this world and am getting back to basics, scrapbooking more pictures and stories, and getting my knees dirty more often. youve been a great example to me about how to live life to the fullest. I have to say its great to be a little on the "boonie" side too even if I am a city girl, my heart is in the process of changing as well and I am grateful for the enviroment the Lord has planted me and my family in. Love ya girl. keep shining :)

Shauna said...

I LOVE the picture of your parents with the props! And you are amazing, Carrie. On the one hand your life sounds soooo cool, but on the other I know I'd never make it. :-) You're doing a great job, keep it up!

The Mrs. said...

Oh Carrie Beth! You are one beautiful mama, sister, wife, and friend!

miss you tons!

Jamee
xoxo

Megan and Keli'i said...

What a beautiful post Carrie! I loved reading all about your boonie life and what you feel and what you've previously felt. I think you're amazing, carrie. Truly. Yes it is our job to find the blessings in our life and to see heavenly father's hand in all of it. It is not easy to do sometimes. I wonder if it's just human nature to feel restless and to feel like we would like to try something new or go some place better. Whatever the case maybe, I'm so in love with your boonie life, with your gorgeous family and with your attitude of finding joy in the journey.

oliveverlyblog said...

beautiful family photos!

Natalie in Sparks said...

way cute family pictures - for the Christmas card, eh? :) i love all the fun props and colors.

Also - good thoughts, I think you have truly bloomed where you were planted, and you do seem very happy there. If you ever have bad days this winter just call me, I would love to cheer you up. I am sure it takes getting used to that lifestyle, even though it's so awesome in so many ways!
Also, it is nice to have your kids in more stages, not just all toddlers and babies, so that you can have different kinds of experiences. I actually really love the ages of our kids right now - they are older and we can have a lot of fun, but they are helpful too. They also are still young enough to enjoy "kid stuff" but old enough to have in depth conversations and serious gospel discussions at times. I want to freeze time!

Tyson Andelin said...

my fav fam pic is the 3rd down.

Cara said...

Carrie, you are great. First off if you guys were closer I would hire your parents to take our pictures! These are beautiful, so much better than anything I've ever had a professional do. And, I loved your post. You are such a beautiful, talented and amazing lady and I feel lucky to know you! Thanks for your inspiring thoughts on where you've been and how it's brought you to a happy place.