Monday, March 14, 2011

Made-From-A-Shirt Wreath


So here you have it:  A funky wreath made from a thrifted shirt.  


See, it really was a shirt.  Not a very flattering one, which made me feel better about cutting it up.  (And please don't judge me by the cleanliness of my bathroom mirrors - I have 4 little kids who splash when they wash their hands rocks, okay?)  

The wreath was from one of those grape vine wreaths (it was the only one that I had) wrapped in a piece of an old mattress pad (I didn't have any batting).


I cut as long of strips of the shirt as I could and then stitch them together on the back.  Then added a doily, some ribbon, and buttons.  


I cut felt for the letters and shapes for the "Hey" banner (the word is shorter and said more often than (and just different from) the normal old "Welcome" - no offense to any "Welcome" sayers).  I hot glued the felt letters to the shapes and then those to a thick string that I found in the tool drawer and tied them to the sides along with some scrap fabric and more ribbon.  I added the paper flower thing that I made a few months ago just because it was sitting on my counter, and made a flag from paper and stickers (there were no more A's, so it is "Dey" instead of "Day", but whatever, I like it.) and wrapped it around a wick apple twiggy branch and stuck it down in the string.


That's it.
A nice cheery wreath for the door.

To you and yours who are also anticipating the vernal equinox in only 6 days,
"Hey! Happy Dey!"


Photobucket

Photobucket

6 comments:

Anony said...

Girl, that is so awesome! It turned out looking very neat. I am seriously in love with it.

April said...

Love the black and white stripes!!! Very happy and fun!

Nicky said...

love this fun and funky take on your wreath... totally caught my eye!

The Tomlinsons said...

That is so cute! I love it.

Heather @ Life Made Lovely said...

LOVE!!
i love this. so, so cute!

pink and green mama MaryLea said...

Adorable and fun -- it makes me smile : )

Great job!