Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Morning Chores with the Rancher


Ezra woke up this morning and said, "I'm going to ride a horse today."
I laughed and forgot about it pretty quick as we headed down for breakfast.  

Before he went out, I asked our favorite rancher in the world if we could follow him around while he did his morning chores.

He said, "Yeah."

So while the big 2 were getting smarter at their cute little school, the little 2 and I bundled up and headed down to the barn with him to see what he did down there on these colder than cold winter days.  
It was freeeeeeeeeezing outside.  Like, frozen-nose-hairs freezing.  It wasn't much warmer in the barn.


First, he let the horses in to eat their breakfast.


The boys and I got up on the hay loft to look down on the giants, Tom and Willy.


As they munched their hay we left the barn. 


The little boys and I climbed into the Suburban with the heat on full blast (and my seat warmer on high), and followed our rancher in the John Deere.


He stopped to feed the bulls.


In doing so, the middle spear broke off, making it super hard to hold a bale of hay.  
Bad news.


No spear in the middle = hard to hold the bale.

Front view, rear view, partial self view:


We followed him through the frozen tundra...


...through our tiny town....


...past the school...


...and into where the cows are, for the time being.



Those cows love him.
Right, Rancher?
And, by the way, as handsome as you are and all, I don't think that pink is your color.
No offense.


But Kate does want her hat back.

Dragging the bale with only a bi-spear (vs. a tri-spear) tractor:


Unrolling the hay:


A cute by-looker:


As a rancher, you've got to defend your herd against nasty predators.  
It's a hard and risky job.
Right, dear?


Following this man around would not be possible without this little button in the 'Burb:


Driving down our road or up our driveway would not be possible either if it wasn't for that special little button.

Back to the barn to let out the equine crew.


Brownie and Stardust:


Whopper and Justin (Justin Time): 


Willy and Tom:


I had to ask Kate which was which in this picture.  She told me without hesitation.
"How do you know which one is which?" I asked her.
"Because Willy has freckles, " she responded as she hopped away.
Can you see the freckles?
I can't.

(Jackie, the one and only mare, was outside again already.)

Helping Stardust take off his shoes:


Ezra in the hay loft, looking far below:



Trust:


As he sat atop Stardust's back, I remembered what he had said when he first woke up, "I'm going to ride a horse today."
And danged if he didn't.


Later horseees!



Thanks for the "Follow a Rancher Day Morning", Rancher!
Shore love ya!



Photobucket

7 comments:

The Mrs. said...

Our kids and Daron miss the Rancher life style.

I miss it for them, but can sure do without those freeeeeeeezing mornings.
Glad yer tough enuf.
Jamee
xoxo

Walker Family said...

Oh my! Jiles has gotten so big! He looks so old! Congrats on a new little one:) You are such a great mom!

Anonymous said...

Thanks, CB, I could almost smell the hay and the warmth of the barn on such a sparkly cold morning.. your pictures are so descriptive, and you just keep getting better and better as a photographer! Great narration also.
Love you!
Yer Mom

Natalie in Sparks said...

oh my that looks soooo cold! We don't have any more snow, and it hasn't been as cold here, and I am still a wimp about having to feed or water the animals in the winter. The kids help a lot, which is nice.

Weston's job is hard, but awesome, and he is a hard worker. Way to go!

ps Were you able to fix the broken spike on the hay lifter?

Roberts blog said...

Carrie; What a fine post. I showed my blog to my sister the other day and said "you've got to see how this girl lives..." I am always amazed at the beautiful life you have. The pictures are stunning.
Congrats on the bebe.

Roberts blog said...

I meant "I showed YOUR blog to my sister the other day"...

Sorry to throw you off.

Maria S. Turley said...

Carrie, looks like some cold hard fun! What happened to the good old days of a week of snow and then it melted? Sighhhhh, western girls for now ;)