Thursday, May 20, 2010

A Small Garden Spot


Although there is a big garden spot 30 yards or so to the east, Rancher rototilled this up yesterday, because I asked him so nicely.  It is just for tomatoes.

We are technically supposed to wait until June 1st to plant in our part of the world, or at least that is what that little color-coded map on the back of the seed packets says.  Rancher says we should risk it.  So I stuck 5 mater plants in the mater garden seen in the photo above - and planning on planting 25 more, if they'll fit, and after I go to town to get them. Or maybe I'll dry the seeds from the maters in the fridge and then plant those.  I tried that once; it worked, and it's cheaper.


That tomato garden was going to be my herb garden, but I decided to make my herb garden right on the south side of the house; we need landscaping there anyway.  For now, these herbs are sitting tight in a window planter on the dining window sill, waiting for Rancher to rototill up their future dirt-y home.  In the meantime, I think I'll start some more herbs with the seeds sitting in my kitchen window sill... lavender, oregano, parsley, basil...  I sure hope that my thumb is green this year.

Photobucket

2 comments:

Holly Emerson said...

That is a ton of tomatoes! Hope you have enough jars!

liko said...

i'm sure they will thrive!!!
yay for gardening!!!