Wednesday, January 27, 2010

confession leads to paint

I have a confession to make.
Are you ready?

OK, here goes: ]ixY,(is that a chili pepper?)
translation: " I don't love cooking."

I hate to admit it, but really, I don't love it - cooking. I know that you're thinking, "Poor Weston," and, yeah, that's probably true. Sorry, love. Seriously though, I have never really been into it. Growing up, I was totally good with just pbj's and cereal. In college, when it was just me feeding myself, I would just fix and eat whatever really quick so that I could go play/work/sleep/study/move on to the next thing.

I mean, I like to eat and all. And of course being a wife and a mom to 4 littles, I cook everyday, but taking a long time to prepare something... I think that's over rated. Honestly. I'd MUCH rather be doing something else. Something else? What, like..... painting? Well, now that I mentioned it, yes.

So last night we did. Did paint. Did not cook. Did eat cold cereal. Did rejoice in my confession and the liberating feeling that came therewith. We painted scraps of wood that were left over from building the house. The kids were in heaven.
The results (above). (Well, except the ones that Weston used for fire wood, or at least that's what I gathered through Ezra's sobs.) We store them in that old suitcase, along with a bunch of pieces that aren't painted. Yet.

Well there you have it:
Carrie = not a lover of cooking
Carrie = liker of doing other things better

Go ahead and think less of me now.

But really, I do want to be better. New Year's resolution? Yeah, yeah, it's still January.

kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk
Official Resolution Declaration
For the love/sake of Weston (and S, K, E, & J when they get old enough to appreciate), I will try to love it and be a better cooker!
kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk


There.


Oh, and speaking of painting and cooking, my mom brought us some home-made soup and coffee cake tonight and a painting that she did like 43 years ago while in college! (Sorry, Mom, don't mean to make you feel old.) 1967? I've been begging her for one of her paintings just to borrow. It's called The Man on the Train. It's done in oil. The man looks like my mom's grandpa. I grew up looking at this man in this painting. He's home to me. I love him.
The Man on the Train
by Mary Sue

7 comments:

liko said...

i would rather paint then cook, too. sometimes i am soooo over it, daddy and the kids must fend for themselves. or i just feed the cereal. sometimes i feel guilty for feeling that way, other times i really don't give a hoot.

liko said...

*than
*feed theM
(correcting my grammatical errors...)

The Mrs. said...

It's ok. You don't have to love to cook to be an awesome mom Carrie.
What would be pretty cool though, is if I could make you guys dinner every night and you could paint my bedroom.
Deal?
Deal?
Jamee
xoxo

Unknown said...

I remember that painting! I would love to see the other ones she has hidden away. They need to be on display! Silly lady.

Keri said...

Youre such a fun and creative Mommy. Dont get your self down a resolution isnt about how many times you failed the attempt its more about how many times you succeed. you know if you can look back on the end of this year and say you made some awesome, easy, yummy meals every so often than thats a success to me. take it slow and pour that creative side into your meals cooking can be quit artistic I have found. Ive got some yummy super easy recipes that I know yuor fam would love and it really has only taken me under an hour to make cheap too. ill send them your way sometime and you can whoooo your family and still have fun. love ya. You have such a great outlook on life and i love your spirit of having fun. its contagious.

Megan and Keli'i said...

Have I told you lately what a fun mom you are? No? well, you are!

Natalie in Sparks said...

That surprises me about the cooking Carrie, because I have always thought you were a FABULOUS cook, and you have made so many yummy things over the years I have known you.
I have gotten several different recipes from you, and hello, that homemade bread from last month when we came to visit - SO GOOD! So you must be a good FAKER, because I always thought you made wonderful food, and I always assumed it was because you LIKED to make it! If not, your family is still lucky to have you make it for them anyway and make the sacrifice!

ps the paintings are terrific!