Yesterday I thought I was going to have this baby.
.
Here's the story (I'll try to keep it short):
.
It was late morning and I was feeling uneasy, tired, cold, hot, sick, contract-y. After talking to my sister on the phone about 1 pm, I felt the need to go get Weston and get on into town. Luckily, he was out in one of the fields near the creek burning dead branches and stuff so the smoke let me know where he was. Usually I have no idea where he is.
.
I am feeling really frantic by this point, thinking that I'm not going to make it into town in time. It takes an hour and 20-30 minutes to get there once we get out the door. I grab Ezra and tell Kate to hurry and get in the car (Spencer was at school). I drive, "too fast" as Kate pointed out more than once, down our long driveway, down the dirt road, into the hay shelter entrance, passed the hay shelter and into a dang uncomfortable bumpy field. I could only go so far in a non-4-wheel drive pansy car. It was hilly, slightly muddy, and really rutty. And there was a fence in the way.
.
Weston and his brother Tyson were still 100 yards or so away with the chain saw running and some trees were in the way. I honked, yelled, prayed. Tyson never heard me, but Weston did and ran over.
.
Blah, blah, blah...Tyson took Kate and Ezra, and Weston and I headed to town.
.
I called the baby place all schizo, uh huh, and told them I was on my way and would be there at like 2:45.
.
Got there. Didn't feel like I did an hour and a half before. Calm. Not sick. Not really even contracting anymore. I felt pretty doggone dumb when the receptionist lady asked why I thought I was in labor, and I told her, and everyone else in the small waiting room who were right behind me, "Well, I felt sick and uneasy and just like I was, you know... Well, my body was cleaning itself out and I just felt that..."
.
Her: "How far apart are your contractions?"
.
Me:"Um...like 15 minutes. Well, they're not really regular but...This is totally what happened with my last baby and he came so fast and all. I barely made it with him"(trying to redeem myself from being tagged a hypochondriac).
.
Yeah, uh huh.
.
They checked me. 2 cm.
.
We left, and went out to eat. I couldn't eat and was having contractions now every 3 minutes. We walked around Wally World for an hour and a half, Weston shopping, me timing. Still 3 minutes.
.
It was now 6:15, 3 hours after they checked me the first time. We went back. Still a flippin' 2, and only 50% effaced. No progression. Not in labor. Feeling dumber - more dumb. We went home.
.
So I probably just ate something that made my stomach hurt, and I probably just started having contractions because they checked me. Whatever.
.
I'm actually glad that I didn't have the baby yet. I have so much to do still. And I am not ready to go through the pain! (Like I ever will be.)
.
We'll just chalk that whole thing up as a great practice run, yeah? A forced date night with my husband? Right. How about an over-reactive, hyper-sensitive, frantic pregnant lady who mistook an upset stomach for labor and really didn't want to have her baby in the car on the way there, even though the baby wasn't coming anyway.
.
Yup, that's it; on the head. Pregnant women...
.
While we were off pretending to have a baby, Ezra got a fat bloody lip when he tripped on the porch and kissed the concrete, and Tyson changed a diaper all by himself for the first time! Way to go Tys! Sorry to break your clean streak. He actually put it on backwards and Kate had to fix it for him.
7 comments:
I felt like such a dork with my third when I was at the hospital and they asked if my water had broken, which it totally had, but I didn't think about that since it wasn't a huge gush like it was with number two.
Anyway, every time is different. I kept thinking my fourth would go pretty quickly, but hello, he was my longest labor by FAR at 24+ hours. He was also my biggest at 10 lb. 10 oz. (not a good time to try for natural, ha ha).
Good luck--it's always so exciting, even if you've done it before. And don't feel dumb about getting to the hospital; better a few false trips than a roadside delivery (though after seeing Weston's calf pulling skills, I'm sure you'd be in good hands, ha ha).
Tooooo funny carrie. i know I tell myself with everyone to try and go the hospital less each time. does it happen no. i think no matter what there will always be false alarms. its just the body telling you its getting closer. I know i was pretty mad everytime i would go to hospital and it be false i swear i would wait till i knew for usre. littl did i know right?
You crack me up it reminds me of Kate. you were so mad you were at a two for ever. i think you said you were too with spencer. thats the dreaded halting number right? we all have them my halting number is 5. once I reach 5 its drags on forever until i give into patosen.
good luck we will be thinking about you and praying. thanks for the tip on the bread. its gonna be all wheat. im using wheat gluten, flour, sugar, eggs, yeast, and honey. i think thats it im not sure. wish me luck im gonna totally use the cars warmth for an advantage. this yeast thing scares me. im hoping once i ace this i want to learn to make tortillas. well see.
Holy freak, I did the same thing with Ronin. They were like, "Isn't this your THIRD kids?" I was totally embarrassed, but you know, they almost sent me home when I actually was in labor...dilated at a five! I had the baby an hour later. Dumb doctors!
Ugh! how frustrating.
Way to go Tys.
Way to go Kate.
Sorry Ezra.
WHERE IS JILES??????
Is always think that later in life, you can look on your childs labor and see tons of their personality. I wonder what this will mean?
Jamee
At least you took the opportunity to go out and eat. I hope you had some ice cream and brownies too.
Nice Tyson, I changed my first diaper while babysitting those kids too, and Kate and Spenc helped me also. All well.
Just consider the experience a good test drive for next time when its the real deal. Good luck, Carrie. I can't wait to see the pictures of the new little guy!
Post a Comment