Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Chicken and Black Bean Enchiladas..with GARDEN FRESH cilantro!



I planted some cilantro seeds, however many weeks ago, and it is coming up amazingly. I got so excited when I saw it; something I planted grew! Having a garden is a great self esteem booster. Well, as long as the plants grow I guess.

I had to use the cilantro right away, I was so excited. The next day I made a huge pan packed full with a double recipe of Chicken and Black Bean Enchiladas and we invited Robb, Becky, and Catherine Menlove over and, Ammon, Ean, and Alma were there (those 3 stay and work here), and of course the 5 in our little family.

I've made this dish so many times and every time everyone loves them, as they did this time.

This recipe is extremely easy to make.

CHICKEN AND BLACK BEAN ENCHILADAS
Enchilada Filling:
2 chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
1 (15 oz.) can black beans, rinsed
1/2 c. shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 c. salsa
1/4 c. sour cream

Sauce:
3/4 c. salsa
1/4 c. sour cream
2 Tbsp chopped cilantro (garden fresh is the BEST!)
1/4 shredded cheddar cheese

You will also need:
10 or so tortillas, white or wheat

Spoon filling into tortilla, roll it up, and place seam side down in a 9x13 baking dish. Spoon sauce over enchiladas. Cover and bake at 350 for 30-35 minutes.

I usually double it, even if it is just for our family, because the next-day leftovers taste even better. It is also good to make them a day or 2 before you plan on eating them.

I'm hungry.

I got this recipe from the 2000 "Tastes of Meadowbrook" (Ward) for all you Virginians. It's Tami Tew's recipe.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

"mmmmmm" Yes you have made it for me a few times. Im hungry too.

Anonymous said...

Great recipe, thanks. Now if only I could find cheddar cheese (it is imported from USA and it is very very expensive, if you can find it)

Anonymous said...

I planted cilantro in my garden too but now I don't know what to do with it! I'm not sure if I need to harvest it or chop it or yank it or what. It sprouted and grew bunches of cilantro leaves but now its like three feet tall and has little flower blossoms on the tops and looks like a weed. What do I do?

Anonymous said...

Sounds yummy, I am going to give it a try.

Anonymous said...

Oh, I almost forgot. I planted cilantro, but when I went to cut it, I wasn't really sure were it was. So I brought in what I thought was cilantro and cut it up ready to put in the food. Luckily, I asked my mother-in-law if it was cilantro, and she said no...it was a weed. Ooops!

Anonymous said...

I am always up for a good new recipe, thanks! I have never planted cilantro before, I'll have to try it. I am trying leeks for the first time though (they're like a big green onion, but a little sweeter) and they're coming up pretty good. Our garden is really hit and miss this year, but I still love having one!